A Day in the Life

Friday, September 02, 2005

Faust's Damnation, the Danse Infernale, and Why I Love iTunes


Colin Davis -- Damnation of Faust
Originally uploaded by rossination.

I've been preparing for the UW orchestra and wind ensemble auditions to be held in a couple of weeks. The audition material includes, among other things, orchestral excerpts (!) from Berlioz' Damnation of Faust and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. Not having either of these in my music collection, I went over to the iTunes Music Store, and 5 minutes (and $1.99 later), I was listening to both of these tracks. Then I threw them into a playlist called "Audition" and set it to repeat until I sounded like Joe Alessi of the NY Philharmonic.

Just kidding about that last part.

There have been so many times that I've found CDs in stores and considered buying them -- but why spend $17.99 on an album that I'm going to compress and put on my iPod anyway? I can see the reasons for audiophiles to not want to purchase music already compressed into a lossy format, but for those of us who use the most popular portable audio player in the world, it's a really great thing.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home